Things to do
Ipswich Christmas events
Ipswich is turning on its biggest, most colourful Christmas season… here’s a taste of what to see and do this December.
Hit the markets
The Ipswich region will host a range of markets in the lead-up to Christmas including the always popular BrisStyle twilight markets at The Workshops Rail Museum from 5-9pm on Friday, December 14. There’ll be stalls of handmade homewares, clothing, jewellery and food, plus live entertainment. Markets entry $2 (children under 15 free but mus be accompanied by an adult). You can also take a tour of the museum by torchlight for $10 (children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult).
- You can catch Springfield Markets at Robelle Domain from 3-8pm on December 7 and at Orion Springfield Central 9am-4pm on Sunday, December 16.
- On Sunday, December 2, take a country meander out to the good folk of The Soul Nook Collective at Tallegalla where they’re running Scenic Soul Market. It runs from 2-5pm with handmade stalls, live entertainment and pop-up events.
- A Christmas Twilight Market showcasing local artists’ work will be held on Friday, December 7 at Special Branch Collective and neighbouring Scotland Yard Antiques, Marburg.
- Meanwhile, on Thursday, December 13, the Boudlevard Arcade at 17 Limestone St, Ipswich, comes alive with a twilight market of its own. You can shop at Country House Gifts & Homewares and enjoy special offers and giveaways from neighbouring businesses, as well as live carols and jazz from 6-7pm. Seed Cafe will be open, as well Little Mode Cupcakes.
- Urbane Markets is running a special Christmas edition at Redbank Plaza – in the top carpark from 4pm, on December 15.
- Wander the many stalls of artisan goods, plants, produce and food, at the Handmade Expo Market at the Ipswich Turf Club from 8am-1pm on Saturday, December 15.
Check out the full list of regular Ipswich markets.
Ipswich’s beautiful Nerima Gardens come alive for 12 Days of Christmas – December 13-24, with nightly entertainment, food trucks, Christmas movies and dazzling lights. Entertainment begins daily at 5.30pm and families can wander through the Japanese gardens to see the lights displays from 7-10pm. See the full Christmas Wonderland program here.
At Redbank Plaza catch lots of fun and activities as part of Santa’s Snowland.
Meanwhile, Riverlink Shopping Centre has its biggest Christmas lights show ever and plenty of fun for the kids.
Christmas cheer is alive and well on the farm – Haigslea EWE Nique Hobby Farm is inviting families out to feed the animals at twilight from December 10-22. This is in addition to their usual open hours, from 9am-1pm. Bookings are essential on 0410 487 263 (so that numbers can be kept to a minimum to ensure everyone has a great experience). The hobby farm is home a cheery band of animals, including sheep, alpacas, goats and geese, and their humans, Farmer Dave and Penny.
All aboard for the food fair
Food trucks, live entertainment and a free jumping castle are part of the fun planned for the Santa Steam Train services with Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway on Sunday, December 9. Trains depart at 9am, 11am and 1pm from Bundamba Racecourse Station through the countryside to historic Swanbank Station. Families can linger as long as you like at Swanbank before the return trip.
Join a foodie’s tour
Join food writer and adventurer Natascha Mirosch who is running a special tour of Ipswich and Lockyer Valley producers and food attractions on December 14. The mini bus will depart Roma St, Brisbane, in the morning and return late afternoon. Visits are planned to Watercress Creek Olives & Limes with its farmgate shop and Woodlands of Marburg where the new Tommy Smith cafe has just opened. Lunch at award-winning Homage restaurant at the beautiful country escape, Spicers Hidden Vale, is included in the ticket price of $110. For the full itinerary, email Natascha at email@example.com
Take a miniature train ride with Santa
Take the littlies for a ride on model steam train on December 2 in the country town of Grandchester. The big man in the red suit will be coming along for the ride and the little locos will be running from 10am to 2pm.
Christmas carols and special events across the region include Carols in the Park on December 1 at Lobley Park, Churchill and a Christmas Carnival at Marburg Showgrounds the same day. See the complete program of community events here.
Christmas Lights Tour
Check out the best of Ipswich’s Christmas lights this year with a bus tour that includes a wander through the beautiful Christmas Wonderland at Nerima Gardens. Numbers are limited for the Christmas Lights Tours so be quick to book!