Have you ever wanted to know what haggis tastes like, or what’s really going on under a Scotsman’s kilt? Well you can find this out and more at The Gathering Festival being held in Ipswich on June 23.
The Gathering started out as the Ipswich Gathering of Clans by the City of Ipswich Pipe Band, and this year has grown to incorporate Celtic heritage and Highland Games.
There will be traditional highland dancing competitions as well as the Queensland Pipe Band Championships on the day.
Competitors in the Highland Muscle highland games will be coming from all around Australia and the world to take part in caber toss, hammer throw and more.
The games include men’s, women’s and a masters professional division and are the only highland games in Queensland.
On the day you can learn how to play the bagpipes and even have a go at the strong man style games.
A lost arts and medieval re-enactment will also be a feature.
You can learn about genealogy, see fencing displays from a local fencing school and a blacksmith at work.
There will be Celtic music and choir performances, a big tug of war for the kids and Celtic themed fashions on the field.
Check out the collection of British minis and sample some Celtic food including haggis with meats and tarties, shortbread and Scottish Tablet.
Ungermann Brothers will be selling their ice cream at the event, there will be a live fire smoke house, Crunchies Waffles will bring their double decker bus as well as food trucks with Greek and Mexican offerings.
You can browse some Celtic jewelery and kilts from local suppliers and stop for a drink at the onsite bar.
- Bring a chair or rug for the hill area in front of the bar, sunscreen and a hat and wear sensible footwear.
- Dogs are welcome as long as they are on a leash.
- Disabled facilities are available.
- No smoking and no alcohol to be brought in. You can bring your own food in, but no eskys will be permitted.
- Tickets cost $15. Family passes are available, children under 4 are free.
- The event is being held at the Ipswich Turf Club on Sunday June 23.
- If you’re driving the Ipswich Turf Club is located at 219 Brisbane Rd in Bundamba.
- There are bus and train services available nearby see Translink for more information.